Monday, April 16, 2012

My Spring Sandwich Trends

I don't like sandwiches when it's cold outside--with a few exceptions. Spring has finally gotten itself figured out up here in the rainy Pacific Northwest, and its arrival (accompanied by a dose of sudden busyness and illness) has inspired my current trend to eat sandwiches for most meals. Okay, maybe that was just what it seemed like over the weekend, but anyway. Here is what I've been eating a lot of for the past 3-4 days.

My current favorite vegan sandwich:
  • Spread a moderate layer of some sort of hummus or bean dip on 2 slices of bread.
  • 1 thick layer sliced tomatoes. Salt and pepper lightly, if desired (in my case: always!)
  • 1 moderate layer thinly sliced English cucumbers
  • 1 thick layer pepperoncini, sliced or halved, or whatevs. 
  • 1 cup arugula 
  • (optional: a layer of fresh basil leaves)
  • Press together. Enjoy. Try not to get pepperoncini juices in your eye.
It's kind of weird to add a picture of a munched
 on sandwich, but that's how I roll.

And I just realized as I took my first bite of this very sandwich today: this might might make a pretty epic salad if topped with a simple vinaigrette and some olives. Now I wish I had olives on hand...  









Here is the Hummus I made. It's nothing fancy, just a particularly less fatty and less garlicky version of the classic stuff. With fresh thyme, since I had it on hand. Fresh herbs make everything better *grin*

Quick, Lower Fat Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans, drained and well rinsed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 heaping tablespoon tahini (leave it out if you are allergic to sesame, of course)
2 smallish cloves garlic, minced
handful of fresh thyme leaves, or herbs of your choice. Good candidates include: rosemary, oregano, basil, and flat leaf parsley. Cilantro might also be pretty tasty. So could a splash of lemon. 
1/2 cup water, set aside
salt and pepper to taste

In a food processor, blend all ingredients except for the water. With the machine running, add a stream of water until the hummus reaches your desired consistency. It probably won't take the entire amount of water, but it depends on what you're using the hummus for. For sandwich spread, I liked it a little thin, so it spreads easily. When it has reached your desired consistency, season with salt and black pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment