Friday, April 27, 2012

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

These cookies are so good they should be banned. Banned from my diet FOREVER. They are rich with the flavor of toasted coconut, and perfectly nutty and chewy, like any oatmeal cookie worth it's salt should be. One of the things I love most about this cookie is that it isn't too sweet. I'm a sucker for a good oatmeal cookie, and heck, I figure it is at least somewhat better for you than the average cookie, since it has oatmeal in it--am I right?!

Anyway, I think the original recipe (that I have completely deviated from to achieve a vegan, less sweet, less salty, more whole grain version) came off of the back of an oatmeal container from a few years ago. I don't even recall the brand, all I remember was that the tube was red, and that it was a store brand, not Quaker oats. The leavening agents and oatmeal are all that remain from that original recipe.

A few things before we get started:

  • You really want to mix the flaxmeal with hot water, and then let it cool off. It doesn't take long, so do this step first, then mix the dry ingredients, then mix the soy milk with the flaxmeal. 
  • I have made this with a dash of cinnamon in the past, and it was epic. But I like the plain unadulterated version I share here, because I love the flavor of toasty coconut that much
  • I really recommend letting the cookie dough hang out in the fridge for a while. I let this batch (pictured below) stay in the fridge for about 3 hours. It helps with the flavor and texture. Almost all types of cookie dough benefit from some refrigeration. I don't know why, so it must be magic. Wonderful, wonderful cookie magic....




Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
makes about 4 dozen

1 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon flax
2 tablespoons very hot water
1/3 cup soy milk, or vegan milk of choice
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat white flour (or substitute regular whole wheat flour, though it will be a courser cookie)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups (or a 7 oz. bag) shredded coconut

In a small bowl or teacup, mix together the flaxmeal and hot water until thick and gloopy. Set it aside to cool.

In another bowl, stir together the flours, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. 

Cream the shortening and sugars until light, scraping the sides of the bowl at least once. 

By now the flaxmeal should be cool. Stir in the soy milk and vanilla until everything is well combined. Add to the shortening and sugars until just combined. Add the flour mixture and stir until well combined. Add the oats and coconut, and mix until well combined. Cover the mixture and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until it is cold. It can be refrigerated overnight. 

When you're ready to start baking, preheat your oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Grease if that's your thing (but seriously, try a Silpat or parchment paper (it isn't made out of animal hides anymore, I promise), you won't regret it). Scoop rounded tablespoons or fancy-schmancy ice cream scoops full onto your pans, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Flatten the cookies with the back of a fork. 

Bake 10-12 minutes (12 for the tiny ice cream scooped version!). Allow to cool on a rack. Or burn yourselves horribly eating them straight out of the oven. Just don't say I didn't warn you...


No comments:

Post a Comment