Monday, March 5, 2012

"Buttermilk" Biscuits


Vegan food is not inherently healthy. This recipe definitely proves that. Ever since I started toeing the water of veganism, I have been on a quest for a decent biscuit recipe. It's been pretty difficult to find one that I liked. Usually, the biscuit ends up tasting like Earth Balance or soy. Not my favorite flavors. This is my favorite recipe (well, for now, anyway). It's based on the buttermilk biscuits from the 2006 edition of The Joy of Cooking. I veganized the recipe in a way that would minimize the soy flavors. You could use almond milk in this recipe, but I did not want my biscuits to taste like almond. I want them to taste like biscuits. If you do not have coconut oil, you could try using a non-hydrogenated shortening. These are good the next day, best if rewarmed in a hot oven. 



"Buttermilk" Biscuits (adapted from The Joy of Cooking, 2006 edition)
makes about 9 massive biscuits; for smaller biscuits, adjust cooking time

2 cups all purpose flour, or whole wheat combination
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tablespoons cold Earth Balance
2-3 tablespoons cold coconut oil
3/4 cup cold Rice milk
1/4 cup cold soy milk
1 tablespoon vinegar

Mix the milks and vinegar and set aside while you prep the other ingredients.

Preheat the oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in the fats using your fingers or a biscuit cutter. The mix should resemble peas. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk mixture. Stir together. Knead the dough about ten times in the bowl, until the dough comes together. Dump out onto a well floured board and knead a few more times. With your hands, flatten dough out to about 1/2" . Cut biscuits out and place on baking sheet. Knead scraps together and keep cutting until you run out of dough. Group the biscuits close together on the baking sheet. This helps them get super tall and fluffy. 
Bake for 10-13 minutes, until golden brown. 

I recommend eating them with hot out of the oven with a smear of jam, but that is just my preference :)

No comments:

Post a Comment