Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cumin Scented Lentil and Barley Stew

I love soup. It's pretty much my favorite food. And yes, I do realize how vague that is. This very simple stew is so warming and comforting on a cold and rainy winter day. I developed this recipe last fall when I was trying to figure out how to reinvent my lentil stew to make it vegan and just as tasty as the meatified version I was used to making. I could lie and say that I wanted a simple list of ingredients, but the truth is, I was too lazy to go to the store that day and wanted to utilize ingredients I had on hand at that moment.
This was developed for a pressure cooker, but would probably work in a crock pot (with the same amount of water, I think), or simmered on the stove top the usual way with a little extra water if needed.

For those who want to make this gluten free, use short grain brown rice instead of barley for the grain, or eliminate it entirely.

Cumin Scented Lentil and Barley Stew
serves 6
1 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
1 bay leaf
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup barley
4 cups water or vegetable broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cups chopped kale or spinach
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot or the pot of your pressure cooker, heat oil over medium heat. Add the cumin, garlic, and bay leaves and saute for about a minute, until the herbs are very fragrant, taking care not to burn. Next, add the onion. Saute until it is somewhat translucent. Add the celery and carrot and saute for another 3-4 minutes.
Add the water, lentils, and barley, and stir. Place the lid on your pressure cooker and cook at 15 psi for 18-20 minutes. Remove from heat and depressurize the pan. Once it has returned to normal pressure you can return the pan to medium heat. Add the tomato paste and stir to help it dissolve. Add the kale, replace the lid but do not lock. Cook over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes. Young kale will not take as long to cook, and if you use spinach it will take even less time. Cook just until the greens are cooked through and no longer bitter. Stir to incorporate. Serve with warm crusty rolls and a seasonal salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment